Student Volunteers Offer Missoula Community Free Tax Assistance

Student Volunteers offer free tax assistance

Every Saturday from January 28 through March 18, 2017 SoBA business students with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) will donate their time in order to help hundreds of people in the Missoula community to file their taxes. The program offers free tax help to individuals or families who make about $54,000 or less. VITA also has special sessions to assist foreign students and foreign scholar taxpayers with their tax returns.

Get your tax return prepared for free!
WHEN: Every Saturday beginning January 28 through March 18
TIME: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
WHERE: Gallagher Business Building, Room 209, University of Montana
WHAT: The VITA Program offers free tax help to those with low to moderate income ($54,000 and below).  Certified volunteers from the University of Montana receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in our community. First come, first serve… no appointments available.

You must bring your photo ID and social security card
Other items to bring to the VITA/TCE site to have your tax return prepared:

  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements from all employers (Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R)
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Tuition statements (Form 1098-T) and university print-out of tuition and scholarship amounts
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
  • Total paid to daycare provider, the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social
  • Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number), the address of the provider, and provider’s phone number
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Returns that contain the following items or Schedules cannot be prepared by our Volunteers:
  • Any return with incomplete information.
  • Any return with a prior year carryover.
  • Schedule C: Expenses greater than $5,000; Depreciation; Shows a loss.
  • Schedule D: Undocumented basis; Losses that are required to be carried over to the following year.
  • Schedule E, Schedule F, Schedule H are out of Scope
See the note below for preparation of 1040NRs
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
Note: Special sessions will be held for foreign students and foreign scholars on Saturday, March 11, and Saturday, March 18, 2017 from 9am until 4 pm in the Gallagher Business Building, Room 209 (You must have an ITIN and completed Form 8843)
If you have questions, you can contact Kent Swift at 406-243-4182 or or call Clem Lockman at 406-546-6571.