Student Volunteers Offer Missoula Community Free Tax Assistance

VITA volunteers and community member

Every Saturday from January 30 through March 5, SoBA business students with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) will donate their time in order to help hundreds people in the Missoula community of file their taxes. The program offers free tax help to individuals or families who make about $50,000 or less.  VITA also has special sessions to assist to foreign student and foreign scholar taxpayers with their tax returns.

Get your tax return prepared for free!

WHEN: Every Saturday beginning January 30 through March 5

TIME: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

WHERE: Gallagher Business Building, Room 209, University of Montana

WHAT: The VITA Program offers free tax help to those with low to moderate income ($50,000 and below).  Certified volunteers from the University of Montana receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in our community. First come, first serve…no appointments available.

Items to bring to the VITA/TCE site to have your tax return prepared:

  • Photo ID and either:
    • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
    • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
    • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
    • Tuition statement(s) (Form 1098-T) and university print-out of tuition and scholarship amounts
    • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
    • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
    • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • See the note below for preparation of 1040NRs
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents

Returns that contain the following items or Schedules cannot be prepared by our Volunteers:

  • Any return with incomplete information.
  • Any return with a prior year carryover.
  • Schedule C: Expenses greater than $5,000; Depreciation; Shows a loss.
  • Schedule D: Undocumented basis; Losses that are required to be carried over to the following year.
  • Schedule E, Schedule F, Schedule H are out of Scope

Note: Special sessions will be held for foreign students and foreign scholars on Saturday, March 12, and Saturday, March 19, 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the Gallagher Business Building, Room 209 (You must have an ITIN and completed Form 8843)

If you have questions, you can contact Kent Swift at 406-243-4182 or or call Clem Lockman at 406-546-6571.