Gilkey Executive Lecture Series
Coming in 2020!
Laura Orvidas, CEO, onXmaps, Inc.
5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 9
Gallagher Business Building Room 106
Free and open to the public
After a 19-year career at e-commerce giant Amazon, where she served as vice president of consumer electronics, Laura Orvidas has stepped into a new venture as the CEO role at onX. The company is the industry leader in digital mapping, creating products designed to help hunters and outdoor adventurers navigate terrain, public and private land boundaries and ultimately, as the company tagline states, to “Know Where You Stand.” Founded in 2009, onX has grown rapidly from a one-person start-up to a staff of more than 100 people. The company’s maps encompass 985 million acres of public land and more than 121 million private properties. Hunters and outdoorsmen are able to use their mobile phones as a GPS, tracking their movements, delving through different topographic maps with unique applications for hunting, fishing, hiking and more.
The Gilkey Executive Lecture Series was established by Harold and Priscilla Gilkey in 2004 to enrich business education at the University of Montana by providing students, faculty, and the community with direct access to business leaders.
Gilkey lecturers address issues across marketing, management, finance, ethics, and leadership. In addition to leading classroom lectures and discussion, speakers present a lecture at a public forum on a topic of their choice and are invited to meet with graduate students and campus and community leaders.
Both Harold and Priscilla acknowledge the powerful impact of mentors and role models on their own professional and personal achievements.
Harold Gilkey is a 1962 graduate of the University of Montana and holds an MBA from the University of Southern California. He is retired as chairman and CEO of Sterling Financial Corporation. Priscilla Gilkey is a 1962 graduate of the University of Montana. She is retired as Vice President of Community Relations for Empire Health Services, a multi-hospital system in Spokane.
- Michelle Cardinal, CEO and Co-Founder, R2C Group (Spring 2018)
- Bill VanSickle, Chair, AIM Consulting Group (Fall 2017)
- Tres Lund, Chair, President and CEO, Lund Food Holdings (Spring 2017)
- Lisa Stone, CEO and Co-Founder, BlogHer, Inc. (2015)
- Thomas C. Schievelbein, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Brink’s Company (2014)
- Michael J. Covey, Chairman and CEO, Potlatch Corporation (2014)
- Jim McNerney, Jr., Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Boeing Company (2013)
- Phil Cowdell, Former CEO and Chairman of Mindshare North America (2013)
- Glenn Johnson, President of Horizon Air, Inc. (2011)
- Bill McGlynn, President of Memjet Home and Office (2010)
- Greg Gianforte, Founder and CEO of RightNow (2009)
- Patrick Byrne, Founder and CEO of Overstock.com (2009)
- Lester Thurow, Professor and Dean Emeritus at MIT Sloan School of Management (2008)
- Rick Riccobono, President and CEO of The Federal Home Loan Bank of Seattle (2008)
- Sally Jewell, CEO of REI (2007)
- Raymon F. Thompson, Founder, Chairman and CEO of Semitool, Inc. (2007)
- Peter Georgescu, Former Chairman of Young & Rubicam, Inc. (2005)
- Robert Greifeld, President and CEO of The Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc. (2004)